Motorcycle Training

Motorcycle Training

Rocket motorcycles are dedicated to giving you the best possible training to make you a safer rider

Our fully qualified instructor team are all DSA approved and can teach Compulsory Basic Training, Direct Access and up to test standard riding.

Don’t waste your money and compromise your personal safety, we offer the best quality of training anywhere in the North West.

So What is CBT all about?

CBT stands for Compulsory Basic Training. The starting point for all learners is CBT.

This is a course run by training bodies approved by the Driving Standards Agency (DSA), such as ourselves.

Compulsory Basic Training (CBT)

All learner riders must complete CBT before riding on the roads.

CBT pass certificates issued after 1st February 2001 are valid for two years. CBT will have to be re-taken if both theory and practical tests are not passed within the 2 year Certificate life.

A CBT certificate issued in respect of a course completed on a motorcycle, a sidecar combination or a moped with more than two wheels will restrict the provisional riding entitlement (or full moped entitlement on full car licence) to such vehicles.

Once you have successfully completed CBT, and have your Certificate (DL 196), you can carry on to take additional training to pass your tests and qualify for a full motorcycle or moped licence.

What test do I need to take?

There are 3 categories of full licence to aim for:

Category P Moped
Sub-Category A1 Light motorcycle licence – which restricts riders to any bike up to 125cc and a power output of 11kW.
Category A Standard motorcycle licence.

Moped and Motorcycle tests normally consist of two separate parts – a theory test and a practical test.

Theory Test & Hazard Perception

You will probably need to pass a Theory Test and Hazard Perception before taking a practical test for a moped or a motorcycle.

You do not need to take a theory test if you already hold a full licence for another category of motorcycle or have passed a moped test since 1 July 1996.

The Theory Test Pass Certificate is also valid for two years. The practical test must be passed within this period otherwise the Theory Test will have to be taken again.

Practical Test

Category P, the practical test can be taken on an moped.

Sub-category A1, the practical test must be taken on a bike of between 75cc and 125cc.

Category A, the practical test is taken on a bike of between 121cc and 125cc and capable of at least 100kph. After passing the standard motorcycle practical test you will be restricted for two years to riding a bike of up to 25kW and a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg. After this you may ride any size of bike.

Riders over the age of 21, or those who reach 21 before their two-year restriction ends, have further test options:

Direct Access

Those who do not already hold a full motorcycle licence may, after taking CBT and the Theory Test, if necessary, take the practical test on a motorcycle with a power output of at least 35kW. A pass will allow you to ride any size of bike.

All or part of the CBT course may be taken on either a learner bike or a large bike.

You may practise for the practical test on bikes larger than the learner bike specification provided:

You are accompanied at all times by a qualified instructor on another bike and in radio contact.
You wear fluorescent or reflective clothing and follow all other provisional licence restrictions.
Accelerated Access

Riders who already hold a full licence and reach age 21 while still within the two year restricted period and wish to ride bikes larger than 25kW, may practise and take a further test on a large bike.

The same test and practise conditions for Direct Access riders will apply.

Although you revert to learner status while practising, test failure will not affect your existing motorcycle licence entitlement.

Share this story